Sunday, November 05, 2006

Member's pictures

Click on any picture to view an enlargement.

Chantell Joubert sent some pictures in and Harry Lock commented on them.

Of the two cyling pictures you sent in, I prefer the one of the single cyclist. You have gotten in close enough to get the facial expression and good detail in his outfit.

You will see, in the example below, that I have cropped it a little closer. I feel that if the whole of the front wheel had been in the picture it would have been fine, but since the bottom of the wheel is missing, one may as well crop it, as the viewer will still know that he is on a bicycle.

You will notice that I have also cleaned up the background a little - one of the advantages of the digital era. But it is also something of a disadvantage as we expect every picture to be perfect!

The guy on the ski is a good photograph, as you have his face in focus and captured the action well. You pressed the shutter at the right time on his stroke. Again, I have played with the cropping, the vertical pic shows the waves behind him giving the impression of him being chased. This sense of excitement is lost in the horizontal crop.In both instances, I lightened his face.


Click on any picture to view an enlargement.

1 comment:

Allan Jackson said...

The pics submitted by Chantell have both succeeded in capturing a moment which, in fast sports, is not too easy. I think that the pictures have been improved by Harry's treatment of them. I disagree with him a little and prefer the horizontal crop on the ski one.